1.1.1 This International Safety Standard applies to electronic apparatus designed to be fed
from the MAINS, from a SUPPLY APPARATUS, from batteries or from REMOTE POWER FEEDING and
intended for reception, generation, recording or reproduction respectively of audio, video and
associated signals. It also applies to apparatus designed to be used exclusively in combination
with the above-mentioned apparatus.
This standard primarily concerns apparatus intended for household and similar general use but
which may also be used in places of public assembly such as schools, theatres, places of
worship and the workplace. PROFESSIONAL APPARATUS intended for use as described above is
also covered unless falling specifically within the scope of other standards.
This standard concerns only safety aspects of the above apparatus; it does not concern other
matters, such as style or performance.
This standard applies to the above-mentioned apparatus, if designed to be connected to the
TELECOMMUNICATION NETWORK or similar network, for example by means of an integrated
Some examples of apparatus within the scope of this standard are:
– receiving apparatus and amplifiers for sound and/or vision;
– independent LOAD TRANSDUCERS and SOURCE TRANSDUCERS;
– SUPPLY APPARATUS intended to supply other apparatus covered by the scope of this
– ELECTRONIC MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS, and electronic accessories such as rhythm generators,
tone generators, music tuners and the like for use with electronic or non-electronic musical
– audio and/or video educational apparatus;
– video projectors;
NOTE 1 Film projectors, slide projectors, overhead projectors are covered by IEC 60335-2-56 1
– video cameras and video monitors;
– video games and flipper games;
– juke boxes;
– electronic gaming and scoring machines;
NOTE 2 Video games, flipper games and gaming machines and other amusement games for commercial use are
covered by IEC 60335-2-82 .
– teletext equipment;
– record and optical disc players;
– tape and optical disc recorders;
– antenna signal converters and amplifiers;
– antenna positioners;
– Citizen's Band apparatus;
– apparatus for IMAGERY;
– electronic light effect apparatus;
– apparatus for use in alarm systems;
– intercommunication apparatus, using low voltage MAINS as the transmission medium;
– cable head-end receivers;
– multimedia apparatus;
NOTE 3 The requirements of IEC 60950 may also be used to meet the requirements for safety of multi media
apparatus (see also IEC Guide 112 )
– professional general use amplifiers, record or disc players, tape players, recorders, and
public address systems;
– professional sound/video systems;
– electronic flash apparatus for photographic purposes (see Annex L).
1.1.2 This standard applies to apparatus with a RATED SUPPLY VOLTAGE not exceeding
– 250 V a.c. single phase or d.c. supply;
– 433 V a.c. in the case of apparatus for connection to a supply other than single-phase.
1.1.3 This standard applies to apparatus for use at altitudes not exceeding 2 000 m above
sea level, primarily in dry locations and in regions with moderate or tropical climates.
For apparatus with protection against splashing water, additional requirements are given in
For apparatus to be connected to TELECOMMUNICATION NETWORKS, additional requirements are
given in annex B.
For apparatus intended to be used in vehicles, ships or aircraft, or at altitudes exceeding
2 000 m above sea level, additional requirements may be necessary.
NOTE See Table A.2 of IEC 60664-1.
Requirements, additional to those specified in this standard, may be necessary for apparatus
intended for special conditions of use.
1.1.4 For apparatus designed to be fed from the MAINS, this standard applies to apparatus
intended to be connected to a MAINS supply with transient overvoltages not exceeding
overvoltage category II according to IEC 60664-1.
For apparatus subject to transient overvoltages exceeding those for overvoltage category II,
additional protection may be necessary in the MAINS supply of the apparatus.